Fiber Network Engineer
OpenFiber Kentucky is currently seeking a full-time Fiber Network Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a background in Fiber Optic Engineering. The candidate must be comfortable with all phases of Network Engineering including design, development, and deployment. The primary focus of this position is to manage & maintain all aspects of our Fiber backbone. This position will collaborate extensively with vendors and internal, cross-functional teams.
This position is based in our Louisville, KY office. Relocation assistance not provided. Full time Telecommuting not supported.
- Fiber Optic resident expert.
- Track, manage, and document all aspects of Fiber Optic network – DWDM Equipment & Cable Management.
- Design routes for fiber-based services including Point to point, Ring, and path diverse routing.
- Research existing databases, files, and records for purposes of network design, fiber optimization, and new aggregation points.
- Ensures fiber plant database is current and accurate by inputting physical fiber asset data as well as fiber inventory and circuit assignments into the data management systems.
- Ensures inventory of fiber utilization is accurate by maintaining inventory management database and maintaining both internal and external customer information as changes occur.
- Maintains records of all fiber cable splicing and topography.
- Assist with cabinet design & layout (Site identification, CLLI code assignment, & project coordination.)
- Assist Planning department in determining requirements for future growth.
- Create & maintain Google Earth designs.
- Assist in reviewing requirements, developing solutions and cost assessments for pre-sales opportunities.
- Provide concise weekly updates to management and effectively present project status to leadership.
- Perform all other duties as needed and assigned.
- 3 to 5 years work experience as a Fiber, Telecom, or OSP Engineer.
- Ability to read blueprints, schematics, and drawings.
- Google Earth experience - understands how to produce a professional and detailed KMZ file and can interpret outside plant construction KMZ's.
- Assist field personnel and construction contractors with real-time OTDR plots & Optical power readings, etc.
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite of tools, in particular MS Visio and Excel.
- Prior experience in telecom and fiber plant install.
- Proficient with fiber plant concepts and designs. (Feeder/distribution cables, color codes, x-connects, fiber characteristics, db loss and attenuation, FTTX designs.)
- Familiar with PON equipment, specifically DWDM muxes, splitters, and FDPs.
- Prior fiber design experience that includes ring configurations, FTTX projects, and/or long-haul backbone builds.
- Knowledge of GIS-based platforms and fiber inventory systems.
- Strong documentation skills.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- A degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- RBOC experience.
- Experience with DWDM systems, particularly Fujitsu.
- FTTX network planning and design experience.
- Knowledge of ISP, building entrances, and NESC.
- Experience with 3GIS.
- Knowledge of SiteTracker & SalesForce.
- AutoCAD or MicroStation experience.
Compensation: We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk, stoop, hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The duties of this job are performed inside a climate-controlled office setting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: OpenFiber Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any applicable legally protected characteristic.
Authorization to Work in the United States: In compliance with Federal law and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 22.1800, the selected candidate will be required to provide documentation that will verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.