Senior Network Engineer
OpenFiber Kentucky is currently seeking a full-time Sr. Network Engineer to join our team. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a background in Network Engineering and a passion for delivering innovative customer experiences via advanced networking solutions. The candidate must be comfortable with all phases of Network Engineering including design, development, and deployment. The primary focus of this position is to manage & maintain all aspects of our Juniper Routing & Switching backbone. This position will collaborate extensively with vendors and internal, cross-functional teams.
This position is based in our Louisville, KY office. Relocation assistance not provided. Full time Telecommuting not supported.
- Routing & Switching resident expert, preferably Juniper.
- Implement new feature designs and new service offerings.
- Provide solutions to improve reliability and performance of a large service provider network.
- Document Architecture & Design of the Juniper L2/L3 network.
- Provide guidance to Sales Engineering team.
- Partner with key stakeholders to ensure new features and fixes are swiftly tested and implemented with no negative impact to customers or network performance.
- Define variables to appropriately benchmark the environment to ensure all reliability and performance metrics are met.
- Identify deficiencies and quickly develop a solution in a DevOps manner to help improve reliability and add operational efficiencies.
- Leverage automation to eliminate manual processes and provide near real-time visibility into network health and performance.
- Participate in meetings with key stakeholders regarding the roadmap planning for new features and product offerings for customers.
- Responsible for documentation, design, technical support, and guidance to supporting verticals to ensure project success and completion.
- Lead complex and critical projects involving several technical systems and partners.
- Designs, implements, monitors, enhances and troubleshoots network systems in conjunction with network vendors and partners.
- Tests and reviews network designs.
- Mentor junior team members on Network design, cloud computing and networking concepts.
- Provide concise weekly updates to management and effectively present project status to leadership.
- Perform all other duties as needed and assigned.
- 5 to 10 years work experience as a network engineer in large network environment, preferably Juniper.
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP networking, load balancing, firewalls, HTTP, SSL, DNS, DHCP.
- Demonstratable skills with BGP Routing, IP/MPLS, VPLS and EVPN as well as MEF Layer services.
- Subject matter expert in Service Provider Networks, including Internet and Ethernet services.
- Experience with Enterprise networks.
- Experience with Cisco & Juniper networks.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and resolve IP network troubles in the physical, data link, and network layers.
- Expert knowledge of services, network devices, knowledge base solutions, and system monitoring tools.
- Experience with Linux systems in an enterprise production environment.
- Experience with IOS-XR, JUNOS, and experience with Cisco ASA or Juniper SRX firewalls.
- Experience with one or more scripting languages (Perl, Python, Shell, Ruby).
- Fair knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Fiber, Bridging, Switching, Routing, Ethernet and Transport technologies and protocols.
- In Depth knowledge in network design, network architecture, protocols and network topology, TCP/IP and the OSI Model.
- Knowledge in using ticketing and software tools to support the current operations, network devices, basic network appliances, and network designing software, such as Visio.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to lead and drive projects to completion.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- A degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent.
- MEF-CECP certification.
- Experience with DWDM systems, particularly Fujitsu.
- Experience with RAD Ethernet Access Devices
- Experience with automation tools (Ansible, Chef, Puppet).
- Opensource solutions, Network Operating Systems (NOS).
- Experience with SDN/NFV and SD-WAN.
Compensation: We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package.
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk, stoop, hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment: The duties of this job are performed inside a climate-controlled office setting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: OpenFiber Kentucky is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any applicable legally protected characteristic.
Authorization to Work in the United States: In compliance with Federal law and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 22.1800, the selected candidate will be required to provide documentation that will verify their identity and eligibility to work in the United States.